120226 Jörg Schaible wrote:
> Philip Webb wrote:
>> In Gvim I can enter 'e-umlaut' via the keystrokes 'control-k e : ', ie ë .
>> Kate has a Vi mode, which seems to reproduce Vim fairly well,
>> but there's no sign of 'control-k' or any substitute.
>> KDE System Settings has a menu for setting a compose key,
>> but tests with 'left-control' & 'pause' in Konsole & Kate did nothing.
>> I tried in Kate with Luxi Mono & Courier(IBM), Konsole with LM &
>> Fixed(Misc). I don't have the KDE desktop pkgs installed, but use many
>> apps & it shouldn't make a difference.
>> Does anyone know if & how accented characters cb entered in KDE apps ?
> On a German keyboard layout I type AltGr+ü and then the letter: äöüïëÿ

I don't want to change keyboard layouts, which isn't needed with Gvim.

I booted into Mandriva 10 Spring, which I have on another partition
but don't use except for testing stuff occasionally, & got it to work there :
SystemSettings -> C/R + Language -> KeyboardLayout -> Advanced
-> Compose key position -> Left Ctl ; Kwrite complies : 'Ctl c ,' -> 'ç' .

KDE System Settings in my usual Gentoo system doesn't show C/R+Language,
but offers the Compose-key options under Hardware -> Keyboard -> Advanced.

I don't have the whole of KDE installed, only what I need
to support the apps I use, so perhaps there's a pkg I need to add.

Does anyone have further suggestions ?

Thanks for those offered so far.

SUPPORT     ___________//___,   Philip Webb
ELECTRIC   /] [] [] [] [] []|   Cities Centre, University of Toronto
TRANSIT    `-O----------O---'   purslowatchassdotutorontodotca