Nagatoro schreef:
> Holly Bostick wrote:
>
>> Yes... you see your kernel config for the default mode? It does not
>> specify a bit depth. Neither did mine. Change the setting in the
>> kernel to
>> [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>> (or whatever your preferred resolution is, thereby specifying a bit
>> depth to the kernel config)
>> recompile the kernel, and try again, using the setting you want in
>> grub.conf, and it should work. At least, that's what fixed it for me.
>

> Sorry didn't work.
> The 8bpp message did dissapear but the framebuffer still want's to read
> the config file for 800x600.

Well, actually it did work-- it solved *half* the problem, which is an
improvement.

Now I'm wondering:

1) What command did you use to generate the splash initrd? Is it
compiled into the kernel, or do you use an initrd line in grub.conf? If
the latter, what does that line say?

2) Did you ever attempt to use 800x600? Maybe it's a cache issue, then.
 I didn't find out how to remove /lib/splash/cache from /etc/mtab (short
of manually deleting it, which I didn't want to do), but I did manage to
unmount it as root (umount cachedir), which (afaics) allowed it to be
regenerated when I rebooted. Maybe that would help.

Holly