On Sun, Mar 11, 2012 at 07:27:05AM -0400, Daddy wrote

> Having personally long considered Lennart Poettering a 'spawn of
> the devil' my question is ... is this your reaction to systemd?

  It's my reaction to the "Windows-isation" and "Firefox-isation" of
linux.  So far I've managed to keep systemd and hal and dbus and
pulseaudio off my machines.  I agree with Linus Torvalds that linux is
getting bloated and huge and scary...
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/09/22/linus_torvalds_linux_bloated_huge/

> One minor typo to point out:
>
> /atc/portage/package.mask should be /etc/portage/package.mask

  Thanks; fixed now.

> I just joined this list last week, but might consider sacrificing
> some hardware to join your endeavor if you need more testers.

  I have a couple of regular desktops here at home, and a desktop
dedicted to my TV, plus a netbook, and a laptop.  So far, I've run into
only one situation where laziness on my part ends up requiring udev.
The laptop has an ATI Radeon chip that requires emerging radeon-ucode.
That ebuild simply dumps a bunch of binary blobs into a library folder.
The kernel loads one of the binary blobs at bootup.  Radeon-ucode has
blobs for 2 or 3 dozen differnt Radeon GPU models.  If I leave all the
binary blobs in the library folder, the kernel needs udev to figure out
which blob to load.  But, if I leave only the correct blob for my GPU in
the library folder (move/delete all the others), it loads properly
without any help from udev.

--
Walter Dnes <waltd...@waltdnes.org>