On 18/03/12 03:45, Canek Peláez Valdés wrote:
On Sat, Mar 17, 2012 at 6:48 PM, Nikos Chantziaras<rea...@gmail.com>  wrote:
On 17/03/12 13:53, Alan Mackenzie wrote:

Hello, Nikos.

On Sat, Mar 17, 2012 at 08:25:48AM +0200, Nikos Chantziaras wrote:

Happy Computer Users, systemd is on your horizon.

No, we don't.  I hope systemd arrives soon.  It's the best init system I
ever saw.

What's so good about it?  What will it do for me?

I have this horrible sneaking suspicion that it will be more complicated
than /sbin/init + OpenRC, just like udev + initramfs is more complicated
than udev, and CUPS is more complicated than classical lpr.

Why do you find it so good?

No idea.  I only posted this because the OP didn't say what's bad about
systemd :-)  I really don't know I should care whether my system runs OpenRC
or systemd.

Take this with a grain (or a kilo) of salt, since I'm obviously
biased, but IMHO this are systemd advantages over OpenRC:

[...]
* It tries to unify Linux behaviour among distros (some can argue that
this is a bad thing): Using systemd, the same
configurations/techniques work the same in every distribution. No more
need to learn /etc/conf.d, /etc/sysconfig, /etc/default hacks by
different distros.

Out of the things you listed, this strikes me as the most important. Linux really needs standards. When I install software on Windows, it knows how to add its startup services. On Linux, this is all manual work if your distro isn't supported, especially on Gentoo. If there's no ebuild for it, you spend your whole day trying to make it work.