On 03/17/2012 12:40 PM, pk wrote:
> On 2012-03-17 19:38, Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:
>> you know, with that 'put everything into /usr' crap going on, I don't see
>> any
>> reason to have a seperate /usr at all. /root is completely empty. So what?
>> Put
>> everything on one partition and go on.
>
> Yes, let's do away with partitions altogether, who needs them?

When I was in school the (Winchester) disk drives were the size of
a hotel mini-bar and the, um, "diskettes" the size of a stack of
four or five large pizza boxes which had to be carried with both
hands.

I never asked how much these toys cost, but I'm guessing it would
be roughly a year's salary for most people.  Now multiply that by
the number of partitions you need to mount simultaneously.

That was the reason for separate / and /usr back then -- the school
didn't want to buy multiple Winchesters when they could get the
sysadmin to swap multiple "diskettes" during bootup, and let the
student health service cover the cost of his hernia repair :p