On Sun, 18 Mar 2012 15:39:59 -0500
Dale <rdalek1...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Eliezer Croitoru wrote:

> >> I used genkernel when I was first installing Gentoo.  I let that
> >> thing build half a dozen kernels, chroot in between too.  You know
> >> what, not one of them worked.  That was a long time ago but let me
> >> check something here.<  spit spit spit>   I had to get the bad
> >> taste out of my mouth. lol
> >>
> >> I might also add, I started using a init thingy a few weeks ago,
> >> dracut tool.  For some crazy reason, when I boot with the init
> >> thingy, my system doesn't work right.  When I boot without the
> >> init thingy, it works fine.  Still trying to figure out that one.
> >> It's in another thread.
> >>
> >> I don't see myself using genkernel any time soon.  Right now, I'm
> >> having flashbacks to hal with regard to dracut and the whole init
> >> thingy /usr mess.
> > i have used genkernel for a long time and all of my genkernel
> > compilation works really good.
> > i have (counting, 1 very very big production server, 2 small
> > production server, 3 home server, 4 +5 +6 + 7 +8 of vms runing
> > genkernel with several services such as mail mail filtering web
> > server and monitoring) so what can i say? all these machines will
> > say other then you.
> >
> > Regards,
> > Eliezer
> >

> >> Dale
> >>
> >> :-)  :-)
> >>

> Odd, it can work on all those yet fail on a relatively simple system.
> Makes one wonder.  Maybe it is to complicated?  Sort of starting to
> sound like udev isn't it?  lol
>
> I didn't say it would fail for the OP.  I just said it never worked
> for me.  Compiling my own has worked for me.  I have only had one
> failure with that.  I might also add, I have read where others have
> nightmares about genkernel.  I'm not the only one.

And using genkernel is pretty fucking pointless while it doesn't
support suspend/resume right.

Anyone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, I don;t use genkernel so
don;t know the truth from experience. I only read what others say,
claiming that genkernel doesn't support suspend/resume.

--
Alan McKinnnon
alan.mckin...@gmail.com