On Mar 19, 2012 5:31 AM, "walt" <w41...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 03/18/2012 11:52 AM, walt wrote:
>
> > The other nifty hint was to add "panic=10" as a kernel parameter in
> > grub.conf (menu.lst) so that your remote system will reboot in 10
> > seconds if the kernel panics during boot.  That will let you test
> > (remotely) if a kernel parameter like "noinitrd" breaks your machine.
>
> Heh.  I learn a lot from reading my posts -- when I figure out why
> my first reply was wrong :p
>
> Now that I've thought about it, I assume you have only ssh access to
> your remote machine, so you can't see the grub boot prompt, right?
>
> Maybe the remote machine doesn't even pause at the boot prompt because
> no one is there to watch it?  I'm curious how remote servers work in
> real life because in my next life I wanna come back as a sysadmin :)

When I started administering remote servers, Citrix's XenServer is Good
Enough™ to deploy in production, so now it's the first thing I install on a
virgin box, even if said virgin box will host only one VM.

This provides me with a usable Virtual Console through which I can watch
the boot process.

Rgds,