This is exactly what I do. I run VMWare on XP and I just use the raw
partition for gentoo. The beauty is that when I really need to be native in
gentoo for some reason (maybe for kismet or something hardware related), I
just dual-boot into it. It's very slick. And it's pretty f'n awesome to be
able to run BOTH OSs at the SAME TIME.

D.Vin