On Mar 21, 2012 10:04 PM, "Alan Mackenzie" <a...@muc.de> wrote:

> Hello again,
>
> On Wed, Mar 21, 2012 at 08:12:40PM +0700, Pandu Poluan wrote:

> > > You mean, like sticking in a USB stick, or turning my printer on?
 Yes, I
> > > do.
>

> > No, I mean, did you do :
>
> > echo /bin/mdev > /proc/sys/kernel/hotplug
>
> No I haven't.  I don't understand at all what this is about.  Any chance
> of a quick summary?

According to the busybox documentation, /proc/sys/kernel/hotplug contains
the path to a program that will be invoked on hotplug events (hotplug here
means the creation of a new device node under /dev, not necessarily
actually plugging something onto the box).

Doing the above 'echo' will result in kernel invoking mdev when a hotplug
event fires; mdev will then act upon the newly-created device node
according to the 'recipe' in /etc/mdev.conf, e.g., chown-ing the node,
renaming/moving the node, making a symlink, or even triggering a script.

The above line should go right after the 'mdev -s' line in linuxrc.

> > (ensure beforehand that /bin/mdev is a symlink to /bin/busybox)
>
> my /sbin/mdev is an indirect symlink to /bin/busybox as follows:
>    ^
>
>    /sbin/mdev -> /bin/bb -> busybox
>
> Presumably this would be OK.

I think so...