You know bud, read some rules, be polite.

"If you have nothing good to say, say NOTHING!".

Do you really THINK before replying? Have you added something to the
question? Care more about WHAT people write than WHERE is it written,
you'll be more happy. Comments like yours are good for old usenet
users, and pointless today.

On 8/24/05, David Morgan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On 8/24/05, Michael Crute <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > First of all, sorry about top posting that's the way Gmail does it and you
> > cant change the settings.
> >

> S**t, look at this. I'm using gmail and not top posting.
>
> Just how stupid are you that you can't move the cursor to the bottom
> of the message?
>
> > Also if you are looking for a lazy man's way of getting a package
> > description try `emerge > -s packagename` and it prints out a lot of
> > information as well as a short description of the > package. I have never
> > seen a long description such as those used to build Debian
> > packages anywhere in portage and don't really think it would be useful
> > anyhow. So try
> > emerge -s and if you need more info go to the packae's website. That would
> > be my
> > advice. Oh, and emerge -s works off the metadata so you dint need an
> > Internet
> > connection.
>
> How completely pointless. The OP knows about emerge -s and he knows he
> can look at the package's website.
>
> Even worse, you're wrong. emerge -s doesn't look in metadata.xml, it
> gets the information from the ebuild.
>
> Dave

To the point, I never really had to read long descs provided at the
website to have a good glance on what the program is, the fact that
the desc showed in emerge -s is short doesn't make it less clear, in
fact, it has all that matters. People searching with emerge usually
KNOW what they're looking for.

On the other hand, it wouldn't hurt to have a long description of the
app somewhere available offline (like the universal CD, for example).
I'm pretty sure they can use the same system of the website to provide
this offline (but is it worth the trouble?).

--
Daniel da Veiga
Computer Operator - RS - Brazil