* Fernando Canizo <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> [24/08/05 14:07]:

> El 24/ago/2005 a las 04:01 -0300, Jonas me decĂ­a:
> > >Second, the whole idea is to do this for non-connected systems. Meaning, a
> > >solution not involving the Internet... =)
> > If you're refering to the fact that the person doesn't have an internet
> > connection when he wants to view this information throught the emerge
> > interface, then you're wrong. When you want to install or you're just
> > searching for a package you're using the emerge interface , when you
> > need more info you have to 1) open your browser 2) type in the url (if
> > you're lucky you know the url or it's in your browsers cache) 3) search
> > for the package on the website , while instead you could just do
> > something like emerge --desc package. Now what's quicker and makes more
> > sence ?
>
> Exactly! That's what i'm refering to. It's not an issues of connection it's an
> issue of lazyness! It's like: "-- hey what are you doing this weekend? --
> don't
> know, it's cold and raining, i think i'm gonna sit in my throne and check
> what's
> new on 'app-vim' to improve my vimyness, if find something interesting i'll
> check the package webpage."
>
> For now i'm using 'questo':
> === script ====
> #!/bin/bash
> # lun may  2 20:57:24 ART 2005
> # conan - GPLed
> #
> # script to check for apps on rainy sunday morning
>
> BASE_DIR="/usr/portage/"
>
> [ $# -ne 1 ] && echo "Uso: questo <category>" && exit 0
>
> cd $BASE_DIR$1
> for package in * ; do
>       eix "^$paquete\$"
>       echo "Looking for: $1/$paquete. ENTER to continue..."
>       read
> done
> === end script ====
>
> Now i took sugestion from Ciaran to look in metadata.xml, i check a couple by
> hand and see the 'longdesc' field but... with short descriptions! Now maybe i
> just choose two with bad luck, but i got a feeling that gentoo maintainers
> doesn't like to provide longdesc, although there is the posibility.
>
> I was thinking of doing a little script that gives longdesc found in metadata
> confirm this, but since i don't know nothing about xml, think it gonna take a
> little bit more that if there were already an application to check
> 'metadata.xml'

If you have the XML::Simple perl module (which can be emerged as
XML-Simple), you can do

perl -MXML::Simple -le 'print XMLin(shift)->{"longdescription"}' <file>

where <file> is the metadata.xml file.

However, it appears that this field is not widely supported. Instead,
you might use something like

lynx -dump -nolist `esearch -o %h <package>`

to dump the homepage of the package as text (of course, you still need
to be online for that)

Moshe

PS. Sorry if this actually seems on-topic :)