On Wed, August 24, 2005 11:14 pm, Fernando Canizo said:
> El 24/ago/2005 a las 02:36 -0300, Nick me decĂ­a:
>> Seriously this time:
>>
>> How about changing your strategy to this:
>>
>> Get a list of the packages you want to update from the target machine.
>> something like:
>>
>> emerge -uDp world|grep ebuild|awk '{print($4)}'>packlist
>>
>> take packlist to the connected machine and type:
>>
>> for package in `cat packlist` ; do DISTDIR=/where/ever/i/want emerge
>> --nodeps -f =$package; done
>>
>> The files will then be in /where/ever/i/want and you can put them on a
>> cd or whatever method you are using and take them away.
>>
>> --nodeps will make sure that your connected host doesn't substitute its
>> own idea of what the deps are (perhaps based on different USE flags)
>
> Could work, but i think he says he has debian in connected machine.

yes thats a bit of a barrier, although having debian doesn't stop him
installing portage AFAIK. A long time ago in a galaxy far away there was a
howto on installing portage on other distros.

> (hasn't?)
>
> Anyway i would be great if 'emerge' has clean option like
> '--print-uris' from apt-get so one could just use 'wget' or whatever
> they find on connected machine.

you mean like:

emerge -fp target 2>&1|grep -v Calculating|grep -v '...done!'|sed -e 's/\
/\n/g'

The sed part transforms from a list all on one line with spaces separating
to a list one per line, ie:

url1 url2 url3

url1
url2
url3

Trouble is this gives a list with many alternatives for each url
(depending on the number of mirrors shown in the ebuild.

You then need a script to download each url ONLY if one of the earlier
url's for the same file hasn't worked.