On 5 May 2012, at 03:39, James wrote:
> …
> #copy running-config [http | https] <url>
>
> …
> The I could just issue this command?

The question mark terminating this statement seems dubious.

This appears to be a feature of Cisco routers.

http://stack.nil.com/C1256F0A00429755/html/webupload/

> copy running-config http://10.10.10.<laptop web server IP>
>
> It should work and  it's simple. What would be
> some recommendations as to which minimal web server
> I could run on a laptop (simple and small) to
> just backup various router configs to?

www-servers/lighttpd is famously small and on my system all its dependencies
are already installed. It has a USE=minimal flag you might also try, for fewer
calories.

As a matter of practice I would not leave any webserver running on my laptop,
or even installed, for longer than necessary. I would prefer to have a home or
office webserver to which I could transfer these files and from which the
router can obtain them. Rationally, I have no idea why I imagine one site to be
more secure than the other.

Consider this installation-free alternative:
http://www.google.co.uk/searchq=one+line+python+web+server

Stroller.