On 2012-05-07, Michael Hampicke <gentoo-u...@hadt.biz> wrote:

>> Can somebody recommend a tftp server that works?
>
> For my BOOTP server I've been using net-ftp/tftp-hpa for quiet some
> time, which works great here.

Thanks, I'll keep that in mind.

Right after posting, I finally got atftpd to work.

The init.d script seems to be broken and bails because there's no root
directory configured even though there is one specified in
/etc/conf.d/atftpd.  So I gave up on starting it via /etc/init.d.

When running it directly from the command line, I was missing the
"--daemon" option -- which has nothing to do with whether it runs as a
daemon or not (that's controlled by "--no-fork"). It controls whether
it expects stdin to be a UDP socket or it should create and bind a
socket.

Despite the reasonably clear help text description of --daemon, I just
couldn't convince myself to add the --daemon option when I didn't want
it to run as a daemon.

>> But, when I try to install one of the other tftp servers, emerge
>> refuses.  How to I tell emerge to go ahead and install, for example,
>> netkit-tftp even though atftp is already installed?
>
> Maybe use emerge --force or transfer the ebuild to a local overlay and
> remove the blocking. I never understood why different tftp servers block
> each other. I mean I can install pure-ftpd and proftpd at the time time too.

I would have sworn I had at least two different tftp servers installed
at the same time in the past...

--
Grant Edwards               grant.b.edwards        Yow! RELATIVES!!
                                  at