On Thu, Aug 25, 2005 at 05:33:14PM +0000, Fernando Meira wrote:
> I would say that most of the emerged packages were emerged before.. but
> maybe not that much so that genlop could be accurate. Also, a new compiler
> was being used.. no idea how much can that change the performance.

That might. -shrug-

> Ok.. so I'll get better estimations the more times I update my system.

Genlop actually just monitors /var/log/emerge.log
and the estimated times comes from, as I said, averaging the times
from past emerges. So you don't really need to have genlop installed
before hand or used it before for it to gather data.

> Great!! That was in fact the first time I've used genlop. It's quite
> interesting to be able to predict how much something will take to emerge.

It's like weather prediction: you will be 80% correct if you guess the
weather tomorrow is the same as today. Same spirit with genlop.

> For what you said, "is it worth it just sitting here reading a book or
> should I just go to bed", would it be possible to check an active emerge for
> the estimated time left? That would tell you what you should do... does
> genlop do that?

Technically, genlop -c should show the currently compiling package and
estimate time left. (And if it has been compiling longer than the
average time, it would say: Any Time Now.)

BUT!!! It seems that there is a bug with genlop and newer versions of
portage because some issues with a sandbox lockfile. Search for
"genlop sandbox" on bugs.gentoo.org for more info. In any case, for
the time being, until the bug is fixed, genlop -c will never detect an
active emerge. So that's too bad.

Though... if you are talking about, for example, emerge world, then
genlop won't be able to tell you how long until EVERYTHING is done. It
can give you an estimate on how long it will be until the current
compiling package is done.

"I assume you've all done stationary phase integrals...right?"
~DeathMech, S. Sondhi. P-town PHY 205
Sortir en Pantoufles: up 13 days, 21:48