Paul Hartman writes:

> On Fri, May 11, 2012 at 8:40 PM, Alex Schuster <wo...@wonkology.org>
> wrote:
> > Finally, I found something. It's Dolphin!
[...]
> > Now, would this be an MPlayer problem, or one of Dolphin?
>
> I wonder if Dolphin is generating thumbnails/preview indexes at the
> same time you're trying to play, causing resource contention.

Sometimes it does that, but that would happen when I play from the command
line, too. And now it even works from Dolphin, when it is set to open
mplayer in a terminal. So this cannot be the problem. And even if it
were, avoiding thumbnails would be a bad workaround only, such operations
should not affect video playback.

Maybe this is somehow related to the other problem I had with mplayer2
only, using 100% CPU when idle, only when started from a file manager.

        Wonko