On 15/05/12 17:52, Michael Mol wrote:
> I have a strong expectation that part of what you're hearing is system
> electrical noise.
>
> What happens when you set:
>
> * Master -> 100
> * Headphone -> 100
> * Everything else -> 0

If I do not play anything while PCM is at 0 and Master and Headphone are
at 100, then I do not hear anything. But if I start 'playing' something
while still with PCM at 0 (no sound can be heard), then I start hearing
irregular clipping sound.

Is that what you expected?

If I decrease the sound to a level where I stop hearing clipping, then I
can barely hear the music. Although the same headphones play on my
player fine.

And It's a shame, that I indeed hear clipping. Are there any ways to
increase the sound volume without increasing the mixer setting in ALSA?
Would a different sound card help? Is there any way I can solve the
problem without buying new hardware?

Thanks a lot for help,
I.