On Wed, 23 May 2012 22:54:23 +0100
Markos Chandras <hwoar...@gentoo.org> wrote:

> On 05/23/2012 10:47 PM, Alan McKinnon wrote:
> > On Wed, 23 May 2012 22:25:37 +0100
> > Markos Chandras <hwoar...@gentoo.org> wrote:

> >> This kind of messages are also printed at the end of -uDNav world
> >> so if you scroll your screen up you can see all the warning/log
> >> messages from every package that you have updated. Also, these
> >> kind of messages are logged in /var/log/portage/
> >
> > You are missing the point.
> >
> > Tanstaafl wants to know if a reboot *will* be required *before* he
> > does the update. What you are describing tells him that after the
> > update completes when it is already too late.
> >
> > I face the same issue at work. We have a change policy requiring 14
> > days advance notice of any change affecting service. If I do a
> > routine world update then have to log an emergency change for an
> > unexpected reboot, the change manager will have my nuts for
> > breakfast.
> >
> > If it happens more than once, I'd be having a really unusual
> > conversation with the CTO which probably ends with him standing
> > behind me watching while I migrate every single box that isn't
> > RHEL6 (all 200 of them) over to RHEL6 where I *do* have exact
> > knowledge in advance of the impact of a change.
> >

> Did either of you ever open a bug about this or even discuss it in the
> gentoo-dev mailing list? What you say sounds like a valid concern to
> me but unless you express your needs to maintainers, nothing is ever
> going to happen. However, in this particular case, yes a news item
> would be the ideal solution.

I haven't opened a bug myself, mostly because I've never been bitten
by this. My Gentoo servers run stable so I've always known from this
list and other places when something requiring a reboot is coming down
the line.

I agree, a news item is the perfect solution. Having portage do it will
be highly cumbersome, it will require some kind of new magic flag in
ebuilds that portage must parse. All that work for something that
doesn't happen often? Nah, it'll never fly.

--
Alan McKinnnon
alan.mckin...@gmail.com