Michael,

On Mon, Jun 11, 2012 at 7:22 PM, Michael Orlitzky <mich...@orlitzky.com> wrote:
> Portage doesn't know what you want to do, so it does the safe thing and
> lets you decide. Either,

Somewhat tongue-in-cheek:

I don't know either.  I don't want udev, udisks, hwdb or even know
what they are.  Somebody else wants all that stuff on my system
(gentoo profile or the gentoo handbook author) and I wish that person
would have addressed emerge's concerns WRT use flags.

> The ruby_targets_ruby19 thing is a good example of where you may not
> want that behavior by default. Something was screwed up, people noticed
> it, and the devs ultimately fixed it. The most-correct thing to do was
> nothing (i.e. wait).

I didn't know what RUBY was or why it was on my system or who wanted
it or whether that person wanted ruby_targets_ruby19 or RUBY_TARGETS
or whatever.  Me "waiting" would require 1) that I knew RUBY was a
"temporary problem" that would be fixed in the future [I assumed it
was not... just like hwdb] and 2) that I not perform an emerge
sync/world.

Thank you!

Chris