On Thu, Jun 14, 2012 at 01:49:16AM +0530, Yohan Pereira wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 13, 2012 at 08:43:20AM +0200, Daniel Wagener wrote:
> > On Wed, 13 Jun 2012 01:04:19 -0500
> >
> > What about a different approach: gentoo in a VM on the desktop
> > Would that not be much easier?
> > Of course some processor power is used for the VM itself, but it should
> > still significantly decrease compilation time on the laptop.
> > Plus you can easily equip other machines with that VM and use their power
> > too.
> >
> What about a chroot? that would be much lighter compared to a VM.
> Alternativly you can use the chroot to build binnary pkgs that can be
> installed on the laptop.

There are 3 solutions I can think of:

1. Get a cross compiler for i686 working under fedora (have no idea
about that, except manually setuping and compiling gcc) and setup the
Fedora's distcc to use that correctly (this should go more or less
according to the docs on the gentoo wiki regarding cmake and i686 vs
amd64)

2. Create a gentoo chroot on the Fedora OS. Much "lightweight" that a
virtual machine, you can setup the cross toolchain and distcc according
to the wiki, you just have to play a bit with how to start the distcc
inside the chroot (a plain /etc/init.d/distcc start inside the chroot
won't work). Note that you can run a i686 chroot in an amd64 system, so
you actually don't need to set up any fancy crosscompiler inside the
chroot. Just run the chroot as 'linux32 chroot /mnt/chrooot ...' to make
sure uname and similar get correct info...

3. Mount the laptops root filesystem through nfs on the fast computer
(use no_root_squash on the laptop export to have correct root access to
files) bind-mount something local (disk or tmpfs if you have enough mem)
over /var/tmp/portage, chroot into it (don't forget to mount /proc,
maybe /sys and maybe bind-mount /dev, though that should not be needed
and don't forget 'linux32 chroot') and run emerges there... you will
actually be running everything on the fast computer, only the access to
the laptops disk will be through the network. With a fast network it
should be a lot faster then working ont the slower notebook (note that
if you bind-mount /var/tmp/portage inside the chroot, most of the
compilation will be working with a local disk...) Compared to the distcc
method, even the configure phases will be much faster...  I do this
often with my Pentium M 1.6Ghz thinkpad laptop and my quad core amd64
desktop...

yoyo