On Tue, 19 Jun 2012 07:47:10 -0400
Tanstaafl <tansta...@libertytrek.org> wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> Ok, here's my dilemma...
>
> I have some new Dell R515 servers (12 bay versions). These do not
> have any Dell supported internal SD (or CF) card options for the
> hypervisor, but they do have an internal 2.5" dual SATA/SAS drive
> cage, for running a bootable OS (in my case the ESXi hypervisor)...
>
> Well, I really hate the idea of wasting money and disk space (for 2
> 146GB SAS drives to be run in a mirror, what is being recommended to
> me) on something that only requires about 32MB to install (the
> hypervisor) when apparently there is a really cool option like:
>
> for CF cards:
> http://www.addonics.com/products/ad2sahdcf.php
>
> or
>
> for SD cards:
> http://www.addonics.com/products/ad2sahdcf.php
>
> I could get 2 of these for each server, each with a mirrored pair of
> CF (or SD) cards (mirror mode is defined by a jumper or switch on the
> adapter), then mirror those (in the BIOS), which would result in a
> total of FOUR CF (or SD) redundant cards (a mirror of 2 mirrored
> pairs) for the hypervisor... and I can do this for quite a bit less
> than even a SINGLE 146GB SAS drive...
>
> Is there any reason NOT to do this?
>
> What am I missing (other than the fact that Dell won't support this
> config, but I'm not using them for software support anyway)?
>
> Appreciate any/all comments...
>
> Charles

With my last batch of ESX hosts, someone "forgot" to order the R710 SD
internal add-on. But it has 8 x 600M SAS drives....

So what I did is configured all drives as a RAID 10 and let ESX grab
enough for the hypervisor  and leave the rest for regular storage.

I figured that ESX is an appliance anyway, there's nothing on it I
can't get back by running the installer again, I have backups of the
isos and templates. And if a drive pokes and takes out a guest, I still
equally screwed regardless of whether I gave some space away to the
hypervisor or not.

--
Alan McKinnnon
alan.mckin...@gmail.com