Mick wrote:
> On Sunday 24 Jun 2012 19:27:36 Dale wrote:
>> Jarry wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>> I have just checked my machines and I found I have basically
>>> two groups of settings ("ls -al" in /var/log/portage/elog/):
>>>
>>> A)
>>> drwxrws--- 2 portage root     4096 Jun 24 03:10 .
>>> drwxr-xr-x 3 root    root     4096 Apr  7  2009 ..
>>> -rw-rw-r-- 1 portage root    57760 Jun 22 15:11 summary.log
>>>
>>> B)
>>> drwxrwsr-x 2 portage portage 4096 Jun 24 13:30 .
>>> drwxrws--- 3 portage portage 4096 Nov  3  2011 ..
>>> -rw-rw-r-- 1 portage portage 1132 Jun 22 17:28 summary.log
>>>
>>> Not only "summary.log", but also /var/log/portage/ and
>>> /var/log/portage/elog/ have quite different permissions.
>>> I'm sure I never changed it manually, the only difference
>>> is that "A" group has been installed 3 yers ago, while "B"
>>> just recently (but both regulary updated).
>>>
>>> So is the "B-version" correct one?
>>>
>>> Jarry
>> This is my thinking on why it may be different for different folks.
>> This first tho.  I run emerge as root.  I have not added my regular user
>> to the portage group.  I have no memory of messing with the permissions
>> either.
>>
>> I think that if you use a regular user to emerge some things, it gets
>> set to portage:portage or some mix of portage:root.  If you always run
>> emerge as root, then you get root:root.  It may be that this is only set
>> once or that it could be modified if you run as root then later on run
>> as a user.
>>
>> For the record, mine is set to root:root.  As mentioned above, I ALWAYS
>> run emerge as root.
>>
>> Any one have thoughts on this?
>>
>> Dale
>>
>> :-)  :-)
> I always run emerge as root.
>
> elog is owned by portage:root, summary.log within it as portage:root, other
> log files within /var/log/portage are owned by portage:portage.

So those that allow users to run would have the same permissions as
everyone else.  Now I wonder why they vary from system to system then.
It seems to me, they should be the same for everyone.  Just seems odd.

Dale

:-)  :-)

--
I am only responsible for what I said ... Not for what you understood or how
you interpreted my words!

Miss the compile output?  Hint:
EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS="--quiet-build=n"