Howdy,

It appears that grub2 is coming soon.  Thread on -dev said a couple
months or so till it hits the tree, keyworded and/or masked I'm sure.  I
guess it is about time to jump off the cliff and give this a try.  I
installed Kubuntu on a system for my brother and it uses grub2.  I have
had to edit the config and then run the update script.  I have sort of
installed and made a config change to grub2, even tho it was only once.
Basically, I sort of seen the thing at least.  o_O

My first question is, how hard is this to change from old grub to
grub2?  I only run Gentoo here, no windoze at all and no other distro
either.  I figure that may make it easier.  I must confess tho, I'm a
hoarder of kernels.  LOL   I generally have several versions of them on
here.  Is there a way for it to only see say the last 3 versions or so?
I only have three right now but I cleaned out all the non-init kernels a
while back.  Given time, I may have a dozen or so.  I would rather not
have that many lines on the grub screen when booting.

Also, will it know what init thingy image to connect the kernels too?  I
name my kernels with the version and name the init thingy with a similar
name.  Looks someting like this:

root@fireball / # ls -al /boot/bzImage-3.*
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 4740064 May 16 20:25 /boot/bzImage-3.3.5-2
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 4758496 May 23 13:09 /boot/bzImage-3.4.0-1
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 4758816 Jun 14 09:00 /boot/bzImage-3.4.2.r1-1
root@fireball / # ls -al /boot/initramfs-3.*
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 3560934 May 12 05:03 /boot/initramfs-3.3.5-1.img
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 3560423 May 23 13:10 /boot/initramfs-3.4.0.img
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 3561170 Jun 14 09:05 /boot/initramfs-3.4.2.img
root@fireball / #

There are times when I may have more than one kernel but only one init
thingy tho.  So far, one init thingy will work with any kernel of that
version.  I have not tried mixing tho.

Also, how much disk space does grub take up on /boot?  Mine is on a
separate partition and I hope it is large enough.

Thoughts.  Info.

Thanks in advance.

Dale

:-)  :-)

--
I am only responsible for what I said ... Not for what you understood or how
you interpreted my words!

Miss the compile output?  Hint:
EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS="--quiet-build=n"