On Sun, Jun 24, 2012 at 3:18 PM, walt <w41...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 06/24/2012 11:27 AM, Mark Knecht wrote:
>> Hi,
>>    One of my machines is giving an undesired response in eselect:
>>
>> c2stable ~ # eselect binutils list
>> !!! Error: Pattern  does not match any installed version of binutils!
>> exiting
>
> I would start by comparing /usr/share/eselect/* between the bad machine and
> one of the good ones.  I'd probably use scp -r to copy the bad machine's
> directory to /tmp on the good machine and use diff -r to do the comparison.
> (I just discovered sftp, which is another easy way to copy things.)
>
> I love to hear a better suggestion about how to compare two different
> machines, though.  You could set up an nfs mount of one machine on the other,
> but that's too complicated for my very limited needs.

Hi Walt,
   It isn't anything like fsck, etc. The machine is healthy in all
other respects (that I know of and have tested) and everything is
actually working. It's only the list option that's failing. eselect
actually knows that binutils is set correctly. It just won't like it.

c2stable ~ # eselect binutils show
x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-2.21.1
c2stable ~ # eselect binutils set x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-2.21.1
!!! Error: Profile "x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-2.21.1" is already active!
exiting
c2stable ~ # eselect binutils list
!!! Error: Pattern  does not match any installed version of binutils!
exiting
c2stable ~ #

   Actually, I don't think it's that hard to compare files or
directories that are supposed to be consistent on various machines.
That's what rsync does to decide what to sync. The trick is getting
the options correct which is usually my downfall.

   Anyway, in this case I compare the /usr/share/eselect/modules
directory on my local (failing) machine with one of the other machines
here in the house. In the first compare I look at the binutils file
specifically which passes. In the second compare I look at everything
in the modules directory which shows one mismatch which in this case
is that the remote machine doesn't actually have a wxwidgets.eselect
file. I cannot tell that until I log into the remote machine to
determine the difference.

mark@c2stable ~ $ rsync --dry-run -crv
/usr/share/eselect/modules/binutils.eselect
mark@k2:/usr/share/eselect/modules/binutils.eselect
Password:
sending incremental file list

sent 55 bytes  received 12 bytes  19.14 bytes/sec
total size is 7796  speedup is 116.36 (DRY RUN)
mark@c2stable ~ $ rsync --dry-run -crv /usr/share/eselect/modules/*
mark@k2:/usr/share/eselect/modules       Password:
sending incremental file list
wxwidgets.eselect

sent 1095 bytes  received 15 bytes  246.67 bytes/sec
total size is 147613  speedup is 132.98 (DRY RUN)
mark@c2stable ~ $

A little bit of Google suggests you can diff the files themselves
using something like:

diff <(ssh -n me@testserver cat /home/me/source/worksforme.php) <(ssh
-n me@clientserver cat /home/me/source/worksforme.php)

I have not tested this but suspect it probably works fine once you get
everything right.

HTH you or someone in the future,
Mark