On 4 July 2012 07:16, Nikos Chantziaras <rea...@gmail.com> wrote:

> ... install Ubuntu (or one of its spin-offs.)  Having a laptop with Gentoo
> that wasn't updated for months looks to me like the wrong usage case for
> Gentoo.  If you want periods of several months of base package stability,
> you do not use a rolling-release distro.  With Gentoo you need to update
> often and *pay attention* to the changes.

My experiences differ with this somewhat. The longest between updates on a
Gentoo system I had was 18 months. I did *pay attention*, and that is what
got me through and updated. I would not recommend this for most users.

...Ric
--
Ric de France
Ph: +61412945554 (international) or 0412945554 (Australia)