On Sun, 2012-07-08 at 07:19 +0800, wdk@moriah wrote:
> if I try and use qemu-386 it has limited cmd line options according to -h,
> and barfs on any of the normal options such as -cdrom - hence my feeling its
> missing a wrapper.
>
> thanks, might have to do git to see if its different.
> BillK
>
> On 07/07/2012, at 22:32, walt <w41...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > On 07/07/2012 07:14 AM, walt wrote:
> >> Qemu supplies two different binaries: one you can run as an unprivileged
> >> user (usually named qemu-i386 or whatever) and another that needs special
> >> privileges (usually named gemu-system-i386 or whatever).
> >
> > I just remembered that installing the git version actually does give you
> > a binary named 'qemu' but I never understood how that relates to the other
> > two binaries, so I've never used that one either :)

Solved - might help others ...

Thanks Walt for the hints.

Most of the gentoo/qemu guides are seriously out of date and
semi-useless.

You need certain kernel features enabled, otherwise qemu will just
silently give you very limited set of options and basically wont run,
and wont tell you why.  Which options ... I just turned on everything
with VM in it.

You need the following in make.conf:
QEMU_SOFTMMU_TARGETS="i386"
QEMU_USER_TARGETS="i386"
to build x86 only

qemu-kvm has simple script to start it up:
moriah qemu # cat `which qemu-kvm`
#!/bin/sh
exec /usr/bin/qemu-system-x86_64 --enable-kvm "$@"
moriah qemu #

Other qemu ebuilds dont install a similar script.  The qemu-user ebuild
installs static builds (or at least they have static in the name - why?)
You need to run qemu-system-i386 to start the emulator.

On a P3M I am using the app-emulation/qemu and app-emulation/kqemu
ebuilds - not sure if I need kqemu so that needs testing when I get a
guest installed.  kqemu needs a user patch on 3.4.4 but builds and
inserts ok once patched.

The app-emulation/qemu-kvm installs but dies on a P3 when you try and
run it - needs a cpu with the right VM facilities.

Oh, and I installed from git to test ... and found it didnt have an
uninstall.  messy!  Makes one appreciate ebuilds/gentoo and devs :)
Part of my problem was using vmware and bochs/qemu for years and having
legacy ideas on whats required.

BillK