On Tue, Jul 17, 2012 at 3:15 PM, Michael Mol <mike...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 17, 2012 at 2:08 PM, João Matos <jaon...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I suppose that I'll have no problem with wine or nvidia-drivers based on
>> preview discussion. But how about grub, zsnes, skype or some .bin games
>> installed outside portage, like Aminesia?
>
> Don't know.
>
>> I'm assuming that I'll also have no problems with codecs, because since I
>> compiled mplayer with vdpau support I can play all video stuff with it.
>
> There will be some codecs which mplayer doesn't support. Stuff whose
> particular spec has been lost to time, missing documentation and
> win32codecs. That will continue to be the case until the
> reverse-engineering geeks find time and samples to cover the
> remainder.
>
> Honestly, I don't see much of a point to getting rid of multilib,
> unless you're looking for some sense of systemic purity. I do know
> people who do that. (But they also avoid anything closed-source, which
> certainly helps.)

I have to agree on that, its just too much work for no apparent gain.

Unless we are talking about mission critical systems where we should
avoid any point of possible failure, but I guess if it was the case,
ZNES wouldn't be installed :D

But maybe I'm the wrong person to ask, I still run a 32 bits system,
never bothered to go full 64 for the same exact reason above (and
since this system is almost 6 years old, with no reinstall, just minor
adjustments to hardware changes, I don't plan on a full install so
soon).

--
Daniel da Veiga