On Tue, Jul 17, 2012 at 3:57 PM, Nikos Chantziaras <rea...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 17/07/12 19:43, Alecks Gates wrote:
>>
>> On Jul 17, 2012 11:32 AM, "Volker Armin Hemmann"
>> <volkerar...@googlemail.com <mailto:volkerar...@googlemail.com>> wrote:
>> *snip*
>>  > The only use case that might come up is wine - I don't know anything
>> about
>>  > that beast. Haven't had any use for it in years.
>>  >
>>  > --
>>  > #163933
>>  >
>> I use wine daily on 64 bit with no problems.
>

> 64-bit Wine cannot run 32-bit Windows applications.  You need a 32-bit Wine
> for that.  And since in 99.9% of Windows software is 32-bit... well, you get
> the point :-)

Wine supports a WoW64 setup, where you build both 32-bit and 64-bit
wine, and 32- and 64-bit binaries are interoperable. I just took a
brief look at the gentoo ebuild and it appears to enable this if you
have both win32 and win64 USE flags set. I haven't tried it myself, so
I can't say if or how it really works. :)