2012/7/19 Andrejs Igumenovs <andrejs.igumen...@gmail.com>

> Hi,
>
> After going over the installation instructions and performing the standard
> operations (genkernel etc.), the Kernel halts during the boot.
> http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-amd64.xml?part=1
>
> I'm attaching the screenshot of what happens…
>
> I'm not the Linux expert, so don't know how to fix.
>
> - Andrejs

Hi,

looks like the kernel can't find your root partition. (VFS: Cannot open
root device "sda3" or unknowen block(0,0)).

Please make sure that you configured your grub correctly (which version do
you use?).

On grub legacy (0.9)  edit the file /boot/grub/menu.lst and add the
"root=<your root partiton>" parameter

it should look like this
title Gentoo
root (hd0,1)
kernel /boot/kernel* root=/dev/sda2

When you need further help, please post your partitioning and grub menu
entry, grub device names can be verry confusing for beginners.

The more complex idea in my mind is that your kernel is missing some device
drivers for the ide/sata controler.
This should not happen, because you used genkernel.

Randolph