On Mon, Jul 30, 2012 at 1:04 PM, Mark Knecht <markkne...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 30, 2012 at 9:36 AM, James <wirel...@tampabay.rr.com> wrote:
> <SNIP>
>>
>> Amp meters are less than $50 USD. They clamp around the
>> power cord, or any wires inside the computer you can fit
>> the "clamp" around.
>
> <SNIP>
>>
>> hth,
>> James
>>

> I haven't read this thread but I do use one of these which costs less than
> $20:
>
> http://www.amazon.com/P3-International-P4400-Electricity-Monitor/dp/B00009MDBU/ref=pd_sim_hi_1
>
> Personally I think CPU power consumption is a red herring without
> including the power consumed by the rest of the box:
>
> MB power?
> Hard drive power?
> Hard disk power
> GPU power?
> DRAM power?
>
> The 5 above can easily become the dominant power hogs.
>
> I use an Intel i7 980X 6-core hyper-threaded CPU, so that's 12 CPUs in
> top, which burns _lots_ of power, but I suspect it's not the biggest
> power consumer when compared to the total of the 6 500GB 7200 RPM hard
> drives I have in the box.

Spinning disks consume surprisingly little power once they're up to
speed. My GPU, by comparison, doesn't seem to reduce heat generation
very much when relatively idle.

> WRT to money spent to run a machine I hope someone stated earlier than
> this that it's the whole system that matters and not just the CPU.

I didn't state so explicitly, no, but I believe I mentioned the two
machines had been otherwise comparable in their equipment loadout. If
I missed that, my bad.

--
:wq