> What I have on there is videos.  When I tried to compress some and test,
> it was basically the same size.  I guess videos don't compress to much?

No videos don't compress well at all, compressing video files is just a
waste of cpu cycles :)

> When I put this in, I'm going to redo the whole thing.  Ages ago when I
> was green all over and not just around the gills, I created a /data
> directory and that is where I stored "stuff".  My new plan, the new
> drive will become /home and I will be putting things where they should
> have been to begin with.  I plan to reorganize this whole mess I created
> ages ago.  That video directory is HUGE tho.
>
> root@fireball / # du -shc /data/Videos/
> 703G    /data/Videos/
> 703G    total
> root@fireball / #
>
> While I am at it.  You should have a good answer for this one.  What is
> a good file system for this sort of thing?  I been using ext4 but it
> sure does use a lot of space for its overhead.  As far as files go, most
> will likely be videos.  I do have other files but when compared to the
> number of videos, they are close to nothing.  The files system for the
> current 1Tb, spread across two drives with LVM, uses about 75Gbs for the
> file system thingy.  That's a pretty good bit to me.  I may lose more
> than 200Gbs on this 3Tb drive.  O_O

I use XFS on my NAS-Box for the drives that only hold video files and I
am pretty happy with it. The advantage of XFS is, that it is very fast
when working with large files. For everything else I use ext4, pretty
happy with that too.