On Sun, Aug 12, 2012 at 07:26:15PM +0800, William Kenworthy wrote
> Hi Walter, can you expand on the LVM2 problem you mention on the MDEV
> page and/or a link if there is one on the status?
>
> I am building a new desktop (finally building as 64bit!) which will need
> lvm2 and after trying gnome3 for a couple of months on my existing
> machines, I have decided that its too unstable, too much of a resource
> hog and such a major productivity killer so its time to abandon ship.

  I personally use ICEWM.  It does the job, and I get an autohiding
launchbar along the bottom.  Thinking about this has inspired me to
change my sig.  See below.

> If I have to swim, I would like to use the opportunity to drop udev so I
> can avoid that train wreck as well.

  I've never used lvm so I'm the last person to ask.  See
http://www.gentoo-wiki.info/Unionfs-linuxrc which mentions lvm2 under
mdev

  Alpine Linux is a server-oriented distro that uses mdev instead of
udev.  If anybody has gotten stuff running under mdev, it's them.  See
http://wiki.alpinelinux.org/wiki/Setting_up_a_software_raid1_array for
some hints.  The article looks a bit old, so I don't know if it'll work
for you now.

  If you get it running, please let me know, and/or update the wiki.
I'm going on a little trip later this month, after I get back, I might
just set up a dedicated test machine with all sorts of stuff like lvm2
on it.

--
Walter Dnes <waltd...@waltdnes.org>