On Mon 13 Aug 2012 05:37:27 PM IST, Michael Mol wrote:
On Mon, Aug 13, 2012 at 4:50 AM, Nilesh Govindrajan
<cont...@nileshgr.com <mailto:cont...@nileshgr.com>> wrote:

    On Aug 13, 2012 2:19 PM, "Nilesh Govindrajan"
    <cont...@nileshgr.com <mailto:cont...@nileshgr.com>> wrote:

    > What's the disadvantage of compiling in sandbox instead of
    compiling directly with userpriv?

    *advantage

If you do things like parallel builds (-j applied to emerge, not just
make), a sandbox can help keep the build environment consistent
throughout a build. (And if that's not a feature that's currently in
sandbox, it's one where an extension of which is being discussed in
-dev right now, and being worked on by a few people.)

The other thing sandbox gives you is some protection from
badly-written build systems, such as ones which go out and modify
files outside of explicitly-allowed paths and the like, or try
installing files before 'make install'...that kind of thing.

--
:wq

I see. Actually I came up with this question because dev-lang/php was emitting some errors when I was building with sandbox enabled (I never disabled it actually). I guess I'll enable it again and disable when some ebuilds trouble.

--
Nilesh Govindrajan
http://nileshgr.com