On Fri, 17 Aug 2012 01:54:34 -0700
Cinder <cin...@linuxwaves.com> wrote:

> Hi, how do I make changes to permissions and access mode of device
> nodes persistent? At the moment I have to chown and chmod
> the /dev/snd/seq node every boot to make it accessible to my user.
> the other nodes are fine. Here's the output of ls -l /dev/snd/
>
> total 0
> drwxr-xr-x  2 root root       60 Aug 17 18:44 by-path
> crw-rw----+ 1 root audio 116, 12 Aug 17 18:44 controlC0
> crw-rw----+ 1 root audio 116, 11 Aug 17 18:44 hwC0D0
> crw-rw----+ 1 root audio 116, 10 Aug 17 18:44 hwC0D3
> crw-rw----+ 1 root audio 116,  9 Aug 17 18:44 hwC0D4
> crw-rw----+ 1 root audio 116,  8 Aug 17 18:44 hwC0D5
> crw-rw----+ 1 root audio 116,  7 Aug 17 18:44 pcmC0D0c
> crw-rw----+ 1 root audio 116,  6 Aug 17 18:44 pcmC0D0p
> crw-rw----+ 1 root audio 116,  5 Aug 17 18:44 pcmC0D1p
> crw-rw----+ 1 root audio 116,  4 Aug 17 18:44 pcmC0D3p
> crw-rw----+ 1 root audio 116,  3 Aug 17 18:44 pcmC0D7p
> crw-rw----+ 1 root audio 116,  2 Aug 17 18:44 pcmC0D8p
> crw-------  1 root root  116,  1 Aug 17 18:44 seq
> crw-rw----+ 1 root audio 116, 33 Aug 17 18:44 timer
>
> I need /dev/snd/seq to look look the others. I can't find the udev
> rule or configuration that creates these nodes. Many thanks for any
> consideration.

If there's no explicit rule, then it's automagic. But you can still
additionally tell udev how to set the mode and owner. Here's an
example, Google knows more (this stuff does seem to change quite a lot):

http://www.reactivated.net/writing_udev_rules.html#ownership
--
Alan McKinnon
alan.mckin...@gmail.com