On Mon, Aug 20, 2012 at 9:53 AM, Joerg Schilling
<joerg.schill...@fokus.fraunhofer.de> wrote:
> Michael Mol <mike...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I alluded to this in my description of DVD-R. Thank you for correcting
>> my description of implementation details, though. (Obviously, you
>> don't need a special burner, but you do need to buy specially-licensed
>> media.)
>
> Well, if you manage to get unwritten DVD- media, you need a drive with special
> firmware and you even can pretend a different manufacturer ;-)
>
> It is however hard to get this special firmware...

>> > This is a wrong advise: When In doubt go DVD- as this is the official
>> > format.
>>
>> I don't understand this position at all for this context. Unless
>> you're doing work in particular fields for the recording industry, why
>> touch DVD-R at all? Doing so because "it's the official format"
>> doesn't really mean anything; the industry and market has been stable
>> for years, and upstream isn't going to switch out everything out from
>> under people using the format. (At least, not in a way that doesn't
>> screw over DVD-R users as well.)
>
> You seem to be anti-DVD- because you uncorrectly believe that it is related to
> the film industry. You are wrong. Pioneer asked the fil industry to make a
> useful proposal before Summer 2001 and as this proposal was not made, Pioneer
> started to sell the A03 for 1000 US $ - together with the prerecorded media
> format.

No, I'm not anti-DVD-, or even anti-film-industry.

I recommend DVD+ over DVD- for the uninitiated, for compatibility and
flexibility reasons.

>> I'm not saying you're necessarily wrong in that perhaps DVD-R might be
>> the more appropriate format, but you should give some better arguments
>> than "it's the official format".
>
> I did give these arguments: There are variouy problems media compatibility of
> you use DVD+ with different drives.

Your description runs counter to my experience. But that's not
terribly surprising; there will of course be players which won't
handle DVD+ media, but I've found them to be few and far between.

> NOTE: DVD+ does not have a round robin check!!!!!!

I don't know what that is, and searching isn't turning up anything but
pages about a movie called 'round robin'.

--
:wq