Chris Stankevitz wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Section 8c of the handbook tells me:
>
> ===
>
> You now have the possibility to set the system-wide locale settings in
> the /etc/env.d/02locale file:
>
> ===
>
> Code Listing 3.8: Setting the default system locale in /etc/env.d/02locale
> LANG="de_DE.UTF-8"
> LC_COLLATE="C"
>
> ===
>
> Q1: Do I have the possibility to set the system-wide locale settings?
> A1: YES [I knew the answer to this one!]
>
> Q2: Should I?
> A2: ?
>
> Q3: If yes, what should I set them to? [The example sets them to a
> magical value that seems to be related to code listing 3.6, but it is
> not exactly the same.  I am in the united states and I speak english
> if that helps answer this one.]
> A3: ?
>
> Thank you!
>
> Chris
>
> PS: In case it is not clear already I have no idea what a locale is
> and have no preference or what it is so long as gentoo and all my apps
> are happy.

I think my settings would work for you.  This is what is in my file:

LANG="en_US.UTF8"
LC_ALL="en_US.UTF8"

It works fine for me.  Everything is in English as in American not the
others.  lol

Dale

:-)  :-)

P. S.  Welcome to Gentoo and the world of constantly learning.  Just
when you learn something, something changes and you get to learn it all
over again.  :/

--
I am only responsible for what I said ... Not for what you understood or how
you interpreted my words!