On 10/09/12 19:12, Samuraiii wrote:
Hello,
because I broke me PC and I need to reinstall it I'm going ask what
should I preserve to make install faster:

1. I presume that /home can be left intact.
2. I plan to backup /etc and after reinstall I'm going to "diff"
/etc.old with /etc to see what changed and to keep my previous changes
in config.(not to forget to change make.conf according to switch to KDE)
3. Also I'm going to keep kernel .config and /boot intact.
4. World file will be also backed-up and during reinstall I'm going to
strip it of unnecessary Gnome packages to switch to KDE.

Did I missed something? Should I take care of something else?

From your problem description, you don't seem to need to install from scratch. You say your /home isn't broken, your /etc isn't broken, your /boot isn't broken, your world file isn't broken.

So what *is* broken? The hardware? If you have a new PC, you simply need to transfer your Gentoo install to a new hard disk using rsync.