On Sun, 16 Sep 2012 20:24:01 -0400, Philip Webb wrote:

> We've been warned not to use Python 3 , so it's not installed in this
> box, but it was included along with Python 2 in the Stage3 for the new
> machine. I now find that  13  pkgs have been compiled relying on it
> & Portage refuses to unmerge it.  Is this safe ?

Perfectly safe, because we weren't warned to not use it, only to not set
it as the default. That is reasonable because older scripts won't be
aware of the differences between python 2 and 3, while newer scripts can
explicitly call whichever version they need. The only problem with
setting python 3 as the default is that some older scripts may break.

Since portage became python3- aware there is no reason to not have it
installed beyond the 30MB of disk space it occupies.

--
Neil Bothwick

WinErr 00C: Memory hog error - More Ram needed. More! More! More!