On Tue, Sep 18, 2012 at 9:27 AM, Joseph <syscon...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 09/18/12 15:12, Alex Schuster wrote:
>>
>> J. Roeleveld writes:

>>> Those are default permissions. However those normally won't give a
>>> normal user access. You can change the permissions of that
>>> file/device to enable your user to have access.
>>>
>>> I am typing this on my mobile and can't quickly tell you how to do
>>> that on a permanent basis. But for a quick change you can use 'chown'
>>> to change the owner to your own user.
>>

>> What about 'gpasswd -a <user> tty' to add the tty group to the user?
>> Needs a re-login to make use of the changes.
>>
>>         Wonko
>

> Yes, I'm tty group:
> tty lp wheel mail cron audio cdrom postgres cdrw usb users scanner vboxusers
>
> in addition I have try to change the permission to:
> chmod 0666 /dev/ttyS0
>
> but it makes no difference, when starting virtualbox xp I'm still getting
> the error:
> NamedPipe#0 failed to connect to local socket /dev/ttyS0
> (VERR_NET_CONNECTION_REFUSED).

Sounds like policykit, then. Someone with policykit experience might
be able to tell us how to ask the system which privileges are required
to access that file, and then how to ask the system to give those
privileges to a given user.

(Not knowing much about policykit, but knowing some of what it's
capable of, this would be something I'd like to hear.)
--
:wq