Hello,

background:
It seems there is a major push now to put openmp:
[1,2] into  embedded systems [3].

So I looked at these [4] packages to find something
interesting to look deeper into related to openMP.

Blender immediately jumped out at me as a good example,
cause an old friend Ken Hughes is, imho, one of the
world's most amazing C programmers, and a stalwart at
the blender project.

OK, here's the question, I went to emerge blender
and found that the openmp flag is already set. {?}
Yet I looked everywhere and did not see the openmp flag
set (/etc/make.conf, /etc/portage/package.use)
so where is it getting set on my AMD workstation?

[ebuild  N     ] media-gfx/blender-2.49b-r2  USE="ffmpeg
 nls ogg openmp -blender-game -openal -verse"

I feel like I should know (profiles etc) but, I'm a little
bit brain_dead this am, so any help is appreciated.

OH, anyone is encouraged to "chime in" about openmp
and your thoughts as to it's viability and usefulness.
Do you believe it will become a core technology,
embedded into GCC? Used widely?

James

[1] http://www.open-mpi.org/

[2] http://gcc.gnu.org/wiki/openmp