Its not just easing the pain: I am not sure that someone who is not
intimately familiar with iptables doing what amounts to a home brew is
advisable.  There's quite a number of ways to screw up and leave your
system exposed.  The way to minimise the risk is to start with a known,
popular,  opensource (i.e., many eyes) script that does the main things
for you - and then *test* it from both inside and outside.

The time to fiddle with something as "critical" as this is when you know
what you are doing.  Many (most?) will be successful, but what about
those who try and do everything right and fail ...

BillK