From: Erik Osterholm [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Sunday, August 28, 2005 7:55 AM
To: gentoo-user@lists.gentoo.org
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [asking again] keyboard/mouse woes on 2.6 kernel

On 8/28/05, Timur Aydin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Martins Steinbergs <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> mouse support is built into kernel (now in 2.6.13-rc7), not module, xorg
has
> correct entry
> ill try live_cd, maybe find something interesting

I have reinstalled gentoo 2005.1 (network install with stage1). The
system is currently using devfs and my mouse problem is still there,
exactly the same way as before. So, my theory about udev being the
culprit is out the window.

I have tried booting from the livecd. I wasn't able to run X with this
configuration, but I tried issuing the "cat /dev/input/mice"
command. With the livecd, there is data coming back when I turn the
mouse wheel. When I boot into the gentoo that is installed on the
harddisk and do the same thing, no data comes back when I turn the
mouse wheel.

As a result, I am almost certain that this is related to the kernel
configuration. Continuing the search...

--
Timur Aydin

Are you using the Event interface?
CONFIG_INPUT_EVDEV=m
I get this problem occasionally, mostly with my mouse, when I use my KVM to
switch to my docked linux laptop, and the solution is always to modprobe -r
evdev && modprobe evdev.  It rarely affects my keyboard, so I can usually do
this.  In the rare event of a keyboard problem, I can just ssh in to do it.

I haven't figured out precisely what the problem is, however I've definitely
narrowed it down to the above configuration.  If you are using EVDEV, it may
be possible to configure your kernel/get a working system without it.  If
you aren't using EVDEV, give it a try.  As a module, at least you can
unload/reload it and save yourself a reboot until you figure out what's
really going on.

Erik