2012/11/28 Mick <michaelkintz...@gmail.com>

> On Tuesday 27 Nov 2012 17:18:43 design [depois das dez] wrote:
> > Fellow Gentooers,
> >
> > although I am very happy running a Gentoo box, sometimes I bump into some
> > difficulties, esp. when updating packages. This time I am having a hard
> > time reconfiguring my video card, which was fine but is not anymore after
> > the last system update I've made. Gnome session goes up as usual but the
> > resolution is not fine and monitor complains about not being in the
> > recommended mode.
> >
> > My video driver is an ATI Radeon 9600 (RV350) and somebody has already
> > updated the section on the Gentoo wiki
> > http://en.gentoo-wiki.com/wiki/Radeon#Kernels_.3E.3D3.0.0 informing that
> > there might be incompatibilities concerning the RV350 firmware. I just
> > don't have enough understanding of the video related parts of the system
> > tweak and fix this issue. How should I proceed when I have a problem of
> > this sort?
> >
> > How do I know what is the video backend in my system? Is Xorg the only
> one
> > possible? What can I do to fix this problem?
>
> The link you provided says that you should disable framebuffer in your
> kernel
> config.  Have you tried that?
>
> --
> Regards,
> Mick

Hi,

I have the same video card as yours (ATI 9600 RV350) on my old laptop and
tried the new driver by enabling "modesetting on radeon by default".
Device Drivers -> Graphic support -> Direct Rendering Manager (y) -> ATI
Radeon (y) -> Enable Modesetting on radeon by default (y).
I installed the sys-kernel/linux-firmware package, and enabled  include
in-kernel firmware blobs in kernel binary
Device Drivers -> Generic Driver Options -> include in-kernel firmware
blobs in kernel binary (y)
I let empty "External firmware blobs to build into the kernel binary".

It did not work until i disabled ALL the drivers in "Support for frame
buffer devices".
Device Drivers -> Graphic support -> Support for frame buffer devices.

I hope that will help.

Regards,

--
Jacques