On 12/02/2012 03:02 AM, Allan Gottlieb wrote:
On Sat, Dec 01 2012, Florian Philipp wrote:

Am 28.07.2012 10:22, schrieb Florian Philipp:
Am 27.07.2012 22:57, schrieb Michael Mol:
On Fri, Jul 27, 2012 at 4:39 PM, Florian Philipp
<li...@binarywings.net>  wrote:
Am 27.07.2012 22:22, schrieb Michael Mol:
On Fri, Jul 27, 2012 at 4:10 PM, Allan Gottlieb<gottl...@nyu.edu>  wrote:
I am getting a new laptop. (likely dell 6430).
The two graphics options are intel HD 4000 and nvidia NVS 5200M.
Dell is as expected suggesting the 5200M.

I do not need 3D or fast response.  Dell hinted that DVDs might not play
with the intel HD 4000.  This seems weird to me as the 4000 is supposed
to be a big improvement over the 3000 and I can't believe dell or others
would have sold laptops that can't play dvds

Any comments or experiences?
My Duron 750MHz was able to decode DVDs in realtime. After that, all
you're doing is blitting (or using xv) the frames to the screen. I
would be absolutely shocked if the Intel HD 4000 GPU couldn't handle
that basic of a 2D acceleration function.

Now, DVDs use MPEG2. Blu-Ray uses h.264, which is a much harder beast
to decode in realtime. It's possible the HD 4000 GPU can't handle
hardware decode of h.264, but I don't know. I've never looked into it.
(Software decode of 1080p h.264 on my Phenom 9650 worked somewhat, but
highly active scenes would cause frame drops.)

I've experienced issues playing DVDs on fullscreen with the OSS radeon
driver. Therefore I'm cautious of assumptions that something works
simply because the input is easy to decode. Upscaling to large displays
with high resolutions can be an issue.

I'm not saying the Intel driver cannot handle it. I'm just saying you
should try it or look for reports.
How high is 'high' resolution? I was upscaling to 1600x1200 using an a
Radeon 9600; that card would now be almost ten years old. A bit later,
I did the same on a 2.4GHz Pentium 4 using an i845-based Intel
graphics card. Here's the line from lspci, as run in May of 2007:

00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation
82845G/GL[Brookdale-G]/GE Chipset Integrated Graphics Device (rev 01)

Hardware scaling a 2D image is one of the most trivial
hardware-accelerated options GPUs perform. If someone had difficulties
upscaling a 480p (roughly what DVDs are) to 1080p at 24 or 33fps, I
would be very highly suspicious of a software misconfiguration. That
kind of scaling should even be comfortably doable in software on any
modern x86-derived processor. (With the plausible exclusion of the
Atom CPU)

1920x1080, on-board Radeon HD 4250. I haven't diagnosed it further
(except of playing around with mplayer2 options) as it was easier to use
the closed source driver.

Regards,
Florian Philipp

I realize this thread is pretty stale but since I talked bullshit and
just now realized it, I want to correct myself:

Since updating the kernel to 3.5 forced me to update the X server beyond
1.11 which in turn forced me to update ati-drivers to a version that no
longer supported my Radeon HD 4250, I had to look into my issues with
the open source driver.

It turns out, my problems had two reasons:
- I didn't enable KMS and DRM for radeon in the kernel
- I didn't have x11-drivers/radeon-ucode installed

Both resulted in a fully functioning X server that
- could run glxgears just fine
- could (with some tuning) render videos in DVD quality with opengl output
- was too slow for videos in any higher resolution

Regards,
Florian Philipp
Thanks for the response.  I should say that I have indeed purchased the
laptop with intel graphics and it works fine with DVDs.

allan

My laptop HP g4-1057tu of HD 3000 GPU can handle hardware decode of 720P easily
with vaapi-mplayer????????