On Tue, Dec 11, 2012 at 06:36:47PM +0100, Frank Steinmetzger wrote

> * I???m interested in the question of -O2 vs. -Os.
>   Some sources say -Os is bad, b/c it breaks debugging and is mainly
>   untested.  I won???t do heavy developing on it anyway, and Atoms do
>   have a puny cache.  So I wonder whether -Os would improve execution
>   time and RAM usage noticably.  Diskspace itself is not an issue.

  I do builds on the netbook.  My generic make.conf CFLAGS line is...

CFLAGS="-O2 -march=native -mfpmath=sse -fomit-frame-pointer -pipe
-fno-unwind-tables -fno-asynchronous-unwind-tables"

...on my machines.  "-fno-unwind-tables -fno-asynchronous-unwind-tables"
reverses a "new and improved feature" of GCC that bloats the busybox
binary (and presumably other binaries) 15% to 20%.  See the short thread
http://lists.busybox.net/pipermail/busybox/2012-September/078326.html
for background.  The busybox developers obviously want to reduce every
bit of disk and/or ram usage, because busybox is used in a lot of ram
and disk constrained embedded systems.

  I don't know if it's possible to easily add another gig of ram.  It
would certainly help.  I have an ancient netbook.  It has 2 gigs of ram,
but is restricted to 32-bit only.

  BTW, does the netbook jave a Poulsbo GPU?  There are some hints at the
Arch wiki https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Poulsbo for getting it to
work better.  I can get HD Youtube videos to play in the "large player",
but my machine has 2 gigs of ram.  If it's a relatively new Gentoo install,
I recommend...

emerge system && emerge world

...to get the most optimization.  Also, build the "ondemand" cpu
governor and enable it (emerge cpufrequtils).  This will enable the
higher CPU speeds.  I think my machine was originally stuck at its
lowest CPU frequency due to the "powersave" governor, even with the
machine plugged into the wall for power.

--
Walter Dnes <waltd...@waltdnes.org>