On Mon, 17 Dec 2012 16:56:47 -0800
Grant <emailgr...@gmail.com> wrote:

> > For chat, run an IRC or XMPP server.
>
> Has anyone used an XMPP client for communication/collaboration within
> a company that they would recommend?

Surely you meant server there, not client?

XMPP clients are a dime a dozen, take you pick: pidgin, kopete,
telepathy and a hots of others.

Servers are another story. All of them that you can lay your hands on
seem to suck big eggs big time. ejabberd is the only one I found
stable enough to actually stay up for sane amounts of time, and not
DEPEND on java.

But that info might be well out of date, I haven't looked at our
jabber server for ages. There's no need to - the techies all
gravitated by themselves over to GTalk and Skype, claiming that the
cloud services did everything they needed and more, and it was there,
and it worked. Our in-house jabber server - not so much.

Can't say I blame them. It's true.

--
Alan McKinnon
alan.mckin...@gmail.com