Comments inline:

moriah ~ # df -h
/dev/hda5             3.8G  2.2G  1.6G  59% /
udev                  252M  2.6M  249M   2% /dev
cachedir              3.8G  2.2G  1.6G  59% /lib/splash/cache
/dev/vg1/usr           32G  5.9G   27G  19% /usr
/dev/vg1/var           48G  2.3G   46G   5% /var
/dev/vg1/tmp           16G   33M   16G   1% /tmp
/dev/vg1/opt          4.0G  169M  3.9G   5% /opt
/dev/vg1/home          77G   26G   52G  34% /home
none                  252M     0  252M   0% /dev/shm
/dev/hda1              92M   18M   69M  21% /boot
/dev/hda3             3.8G  1.7G  2.1G  46% /mnt/hda3

On Tue, 2005-08-30 at 07:49 +0200, Dirk Heinrichs wrote:
> Am Dienstag, 30. August 2005 06:28 schrieb ext Mark Knecht:
> >    That's very helpful. To test my understanding
> >
> > /dev/hda1 - boot - 100M
>
> Way too much.
only if you are using for nothing else but kernels - as mentioned in my
prev. I intended using it for storage as well as booting.

> > /dev/hda2 - swap - 2G
>
> Can be on a logical volume, too.

I have seen warnings against doing this due to poor performance

> > /dev/hda3 - NOT CLEAR - the backup/rescue install?
>
> Why? Use the LiveCD.

Some machines dont have a CD.  A liveCD also doesnt run squid with my
setup, a mailfiltering gateway or my particular firewall configuration
and so on so its either useless, or means extensive downtime to
reconfigure.  For pure rescue, or a limited desktop a liveCD is fine
(and generally knoppix is superior anyway for a desktop)
only if you are using for nothing else but kernels - as mentioned in my
prev. I intended using it for storage as well as booting.

> > /dev/hda4 - LVM - 200G
>
> > /dev/hda5 - root - 4G
>
> Can also be on a logical volume, but needs an initrd/initramfs. 4G is too
> large, IMHO. Mine is 256M.

As you can see, I already use 2.2G of the root (and 2.9G on another
system), and sometimes much more - so 256M isnt going to get me far!
Set it to your own particular requirements.  I dont use initrd's - too
flakey, extra work thats not needed in most cases.  I decided in my
early experiments to limit LVM for data on the partitions that cause me
grief with space so most of the root partitions including /etc and /lib
are on a base filesystem (/)  This can simplify working on the system.
It is possible to use LVM for nearly everything, but there's extra
complexity, and warnings about some configurations.

Small roots used to be the way in the old days, but the number of
machines that crashed due to running out of root space were legion!