On Mon, 24 Dec 2012 16:06:27 +0800
Mark David Dumlao <madum...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Dec 24, 2012 at 9:27 AM, Walter Dnes <waltd...@waltdnes.org>
> wrote:
> > On Sun, Dec 23, 2012 at 08:39:41PM +0000, Neil Bothwick wrote
> >
> >> You are only considering the case of /usr being on a plain hard
> >> disk partition, what if it in on an LVM volume, or encrypted (or
> >> both) of mounted over the network? All of these require something
> >> to be run before they can be mounted, and if that cannot be run
> >> until udev has started, we have been painted into a corner.
> >
> >   I agree that there will always be a small number of corner-cases
> > where an initr* is required.  What annoys me, and probably a lot of
> > other people, is the-dog-in-the-manger attitude
> > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Dog_in_the_Manger where some people
> > seem to say "If my weirdo, corner-case system can't boot a
> > separate /usr without an initr* then, by-golly, I'll see to it that
> > *NOBODY* can boot a separate /usr without an initr*".
>
> This is misleading in two ways.
>
> 1) You're talking as if having a functionally merged /usr and / system
> (i.e., many programs needed by the sysad to fix a non-booting system
> are in /usr, and programs in /usr will break if /usr is not in sync
> with /) is a weirdo corner case. It is NOT. It is very likely how the
> vast majority of Linux systems on the planet work. Separate /usr is
> itself the weirdo corner case. It was in fact a weirdo corner case
> since day 1.
> 2) You're talking as if Lennart or whoever is breaking into your
> systems and actively preventing you from customizing it to boot a
> separate /usr. If this is the case you _really_ need to change your
> ssh keys, they wiped that vulnerability a couple years ago.
>
> Nobody's preventing you from building a custom system that cleanly
> separates / and /usr. But hey, don't pretend that even Gentoo does it
> correctly. Besides the equery tests in this thread, I've never
> personally confirmed that any other distro does - and Fedora cleanly
> admits that they don't.

The ultimate weird corner case is having a separate / and /usr so the
either of these two thing can happen:

a. there's enough $STUFF in / to fix large-scale errors
b. there's enough $STUFF in / to mount /usr ro over NFS (as in for a
terminal server)

a. is fixed by just using what all sysadmins use anyway - a proper
rescue disk built for that specific purposes (instead of trying to get
half a system to do it for you)

b. is resolved by mounting /, not /usr. It's a terminal server, so the
only thing not under full user control is ~. There is no point in
having half the system local and the rest of it remote, just mount
everything remotely. And if it's a terminal server, it will have a real
sysadmin, someone who can maintain the code needed to get NFS up at
boot time. If the mount of / breaks, the solution is a.

Are there any other cases, apart from emotional attachment based on
inertia, where a separate / and /usr are desirable? As I see it, there
is only the system, and it is an atomic unit.

--
Alan McKinnon
alan.mckin...@gmail.com