On Mon, Dec 24, 2012 at 05:06:41PM +0200, Nuno J. Silva wrote:

> Now, also, from my understanding, this was already the case for some
> time (maybe even years?). And that's why I've asked for more details.
>
> So, if the udev you use is OK with no initrd, what is in the new udev
> that actually requires the initrd?

"eselect news read" is yore freeeend ;)

2012-03-16-udev-181-unmasking
  Title                     udev-181 unmasking
  Author                    William Hubbs <willi...@gentoo.org>
  Posted                    2012-03-16
  Revision                  1

udev-181 is being unmasked on 2012-03-19.

This news item is to inform you that once you upgrade to a version of
udev >=181, if you have /usr on a separate partition, you must boot your
system with an initramfs which pre-mounts /usr.

An initramfs which does this is created by
>=sys-kernel/genkernel-3.4.25.1 or
>=sys-kernel/dracut-017-r1. If you do not want to use these tools, be
sure any initramfs you create pre-mounts /usr.

Also, if you are using OpenRC, you must upgrade to >= openrc-0.9.9.

For more information on why this has been done, see the following URL:
http://freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/systemd/separate-usr-is-broken

You can read that systemd is *THE* problem, not udev, and that until the
primma donnas fubared udev by jamming systemd into it, There Was No Such
Problem (TM).

And that explains where the train jumped the track...
--
Happy Penguin Computers               >')
126 Fenco Drive                       ( \

Don't top-post: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Top_post#Top-posting