As I understand the process etc-update lists new configuration files provided by the program authors. I have tried to define some rules for myself to determine how to handle these new files.

1. If I made a change to a file I will never allow the new config file to overwrite the old file.

2. If the new config file is a new default file I will accept the new file.

3. I will never change a file that is program code, (I am not a programmer).

Are these rules sane? What kind of problems could I run into doing this? What would be some better rules to use? I have tried dispatch-conf but I still have to make the same decisions. Am I missing something?

Thanks for any advice.

Jerry